MSc in Environment and Sustainable Development
This programme is offered in partnership is with the University of Bahrain which is responsible for validation and accreditation. The Master’s programme in Environment and Sustainable Development (ESD) is a joint programme between the University of Bahrain (Kingdom of Bahrain) and The Prince’s Foundation (United Kingdom). It is designed to boost students’ professional practice skills to enhance their career prospects in Environmental Science, Sustainable Development and Sustainable Urbanism, and validated by the University of Bahrain.
The courses are delivered by instructors from colleges and departments across the University of Bahrain and by The Prince’s Foundation staff, in collaboration with a comprehensive range of governmental and non-government organisations. The curriculum of the ESD Master’s programme involves various learning methods including lectures, field visits, self-studies, multidisciplinary projects and case studies.
Staff teaching on the ESD programme believe that contemporary environmental and sustainability issues need to be tackled in an interdisciplinary fashion, investigating the science, engineering and policy questions that matter by using appropriate tools and techniques from many research domains and excellent research facilities. Each of our academics is highly respected in his or her field, and the programme’s staff includes physicists, biologists, chemists, mathematicians and engineers. They are engaged in research across a wide range of topics, so students can pursue interests in almost all areas of environmental protection and sustainable development such as energy, water, waste, transportation, sea and air pollution, land use, radiation protection and measurements.
We aim to
- Provide graduates from diverse disciplinary backgrounds with a high level of knowledge of the most current, and emerging, concepts of environment and sustainability.
- Prepare highly qualified policy decision-makers and managers of environmental projects involved in assessments, design and implementation of environmental policies.
- Develop a theoretical understanding of the economic forces that contribute to the development of settlements. including the idea of cycles of urban growth, maturity, decay and renewal, economics for community cohesion and robustness.
- Encourage students' appreciation of the range of problems caused by an excessive reliance on fossil fuel-powered energy and the solutions.
- Allow students to develop a comprehensive understanding of the range of viewpoints and approaches involved in sustainable environment issues.
- Use proper research methodology and tools to achieve sustainable environments.
- Give graduates the basic skills for implementing scientific research strategies including collection, evaluation and interpretation of environmental data.
Two years minimum
- BSc Degree (Science or Engineering, full-time study) with a minimum GPA of 2.67 out of 4 for the grade point system, or equivalent.
- Pass a written qualifying exam in the basics of ESD
- Pass an interview
- Two academic recommendation letters
- An English proficiency certificate [TOEFL: 500 (PBT) or 61 (IBT) or 173 (CBT)] or [IELTS: 6], or equivalent.
How to apply
Application is via the University of Bahrain website.
Lively and engaged students who combine postgraduate study with their professional lives.
You must study six core courses and three elective courses, and complete a research project leading to a thesis. You have the opportunity to choose between two major streams: Stream I: Environmental Science and Development, or Stream II: Sustainable Urbanism.
For more information, visit the University of Bahrain.